Email Risks, Rules, Records & Regulations:
Best Practices to Minimize Risks, Manage Records & Maximize Compliance
Inappropriate email content and use can trigger million-dollar legal settlements and regulatory fines, topple stock prices, expose confidential company and consumer data, savage careers, and fuel media feeding frenzies. Companies regularly have email subpoenaed, battle lawsuits, and face regulatory audits triggered by employee email. More than a quarter of U.S. employers have terminated employees for email policy violations, according to American Management Association/ePolicy Institute research.
In spite of the fact that email creates the electronic equivalent of DNA evidence, the business community remains challenged by the legally compliant retention of electronic business records. Nearly two-thirds of employees cannot distinguish between business record email that must be stored and insignificant transitory messages that may be purged.
Email Risks, Rules, Records & Regulations reveals how a strategic email management program-combining policy, training, and technology-can help your organization minimize email risks, manage business records, and maximize legal, regulatory & organizational compliance.
HIGHLIGHTS: WHAT PARTICIPANTS WILL LEARN
- How to communicate compliantly. Gain an understanding of email risks including litigation, regulatory investigations, security breaches, lost productivity, negative publicity, employment termination, and so on.
- How to write & implement effective email policy, based on best practices.
- Gain an appreciation for email rules and policies-and why it is essential to comply with employers' formal Email Policies.
- How to communicate clearly, compliantly, and effectively with internal and external audiences via email, text messaging, and instant messaging.
- Electronic record retention & disposition: the foundation of strategic compliance management.
- Why & how you must preserve, protect & produce electronic business records created by email, texting, IM, and other electronic business communications tools.
- Distinguishing business-critical email from insignificant, transitory messages.
- Record retention risks & rules in the age of mobile devices.
- Legal risks & rules: complying with e-discovery, understanding Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, protecting & preserving email records in a legally compliant fashion, facing costly penalties & sanctions for noncompliance.
- Regulatory risks & rules: knowing & complying with government & industry email record retention guidelines.
- How to write with purpose, creating effective email, text messages, and IM content that is easy to read, understand, and act upon.
- How to choose the "right" communications channel and tone to communicate.
- How to anticipate (and in some cases prevent) potentially costly legal liabilities, regulatory disasters, security breaches, PR nightmares, and other email risks.
- Best practices to help ensure legal, regulatory & organizational compliance.
- Content rules designed to enhance email communication and reduce risks.
- Personal use rules designed to minimize legal risks and maximize productivity.
- The 3Es of email risk & compliance management.
- Monitoring: reconciling privacy expectations with legal realities.
- Learning from real-life email disaster stories.
- Expert advice, best practices & policy tips that you can implement immediately.
To learn more, see our Email Risks & Rules, Records & Regulations Seminar/Webinar Brochure
What to Think About Before You Hit Send
. Nancy Flynn discusses workplace email in The New York Times
Goofing Off Online
. Nancy Flynn discusses the 3Es of email risk & compliance management in Entrepreneur
A Long List of Reasons Led to Lost IRS E-Mails
. Nancy Flynn discusses IRS email record mismanagement in USA Today
The Perils of Email
. Nancy Flynn discusses electronic risks, policies & best practices in Fortune
Nancy Flynn to discuss your training needs, get a quote, and schedule your program.